Monday, December 10, 2012

Simple Cardstock Ornament


One of my sweet friends just messaged me tonight on Facebook, asking about ornament ideas for something her daughter could make with Christmas cardstock.

I asked immediately, of course, if she had a Cricut, or what fancy punches she had, as my mind whirled with complicated ideas.  She wrote back that she had none of those things, then asked about my favorite glue.

I came up with this.  I felt like I had to share because I think we get too caught up in the complicated and forget just how beautiful the simple can be.  So here it is... with virtually no supplies or tools, and definitely without a Cricut, you could make a beautiful little ornament like this.

The squares are 3.5", 2.5", and 1.5", with a single white 1" square in the middle.  Basically, I just glued each of the same size squares together, offset so that they formed an 8-point star.

Let the pieces dry and adhere them all together with foam adhesive between each one.  Decorate the little white square however minimally and put it right in the middle.

I added sequins with my Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive, which is my favorite glue, by the way.  I LOVE sequins because they're so cheap (WAY cheaper than even acrylic gems), but they add plenty of sparkle.  In fact, I think I bought my first bags of sequins a few years ago and I'm still not finished with all of them.

Punch two holes and thread your ribbon through so that the ends are coming out of the back.  Tie two square knots, trim the ends close, and hang the ornament.  Viola!  It looks kind of amazing!

I'm actually going to go hang mine on my tree right now.  This is an excellent way to use up paper scraps, too.  I had all of these Christmas cardstock pieces left over from making gift boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment