Thursday, June 24, 2010

Spinning class! Polymer clay spindle!?

I've signed up for a spinning class that is happening on July 10 and 17 over at Tempe Yarn and Fiber, 5-7pm both nights. Cost is $40 for the class, plus supplies, which will end up being about $4-$8 worth of fiber for the spinning. You can use the wheels at the shop or their spindles to learn the spinning without having to buy your own stuff first.

BUT. I'm so impatient. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas. Like, a tortured kid. A kid who knows what her present is, but isn't allowed to open it yet. I'm practically bouncing up and down, begging time to move faster, and somewhat unreasonably annoyed that it's not getting off of its pahtootey and doing so! I don't get to learn to spin until July 10! How annoying! UGH! How will I busy myself until then!?

Funny as it seems, being a craft polygamist with quite the harem over here, I can't seem to find anything I want to do. I'm trying to distract myself with other projects and I just can't. My mind keeps going back to the spinning. I'm stuck.

But today I got this vision in my head of a beautiful polymer clay spindle. Not the kind you usually see--a plain slab of marbled clay stuck on a plain dowel rod with a plain hook in one end--no, no, no... Not like that at all. Something glorious. A beautifully textured and crafted spindle that will be worthy of my genius. Rofl. Nah, but really. It won't be boring.

BUT now I don't know what makes a good spindle. Because I don't know how to freaking spin yet. So I'm feeling a bit hyper and a bit fussy, but in a mostly good natured way. I think I'll start the project anyway, and if it doesn't work, then at least it will have kept me busy until my class on July 10. JULY 10. 16 more days. URGH and a half.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I am so jealous! I want to learn to spin so badly! I would like to have a wheel, but I'll settle for a spindle. Let me know how your spindle-making goes and how the class goes, and I may have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete