Friday, February 19, 2010

Scrivenshaft's and Ollivander's

I recently took a trip to Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley where I visited Scrivenshaft's Quill Shop and Ollivander's, respectively. The new ball point quills are all the rage.


Although usually the young wizard doesn't receive his first wand until the age of 11, Thad's generally 2 grades above grade level performance in subjects has warranted him his first wand, to be presented to him on his 9th birthday, which he will practice with until he goes to Hogwarts with the international exchange program in two more years. He's very lucky that the Ministry's Reasonable Restriction of Underage Wizardry doesn't apply "across the pond". However, if I catch him trying to perform the Bat Bogey Hex on Elliott, he'll learn that there are still scarier things than magic.

Ollivander was kind enough to let me have this wand, made specially for Thad, 10 1/4", cherry, slightly flexible, with a dragon heart string core.


All in all, I feel relatively alright after my trip. I think my cough from the Floo powder might not go away for at least a week. Being a Muggle, I don't know that I'll ever get used to it. However, Thad being as smart as he is, and far more versed in wizard lore than most Muggle-borns are when they begin school, I'm sure he'll prove to be an instant success in all of his Hogwarts endeavors.

I think he'll like his birthday gifts.

1 comment:

  1. that is so awesome! love it!

    i was in a children's lit class in college and my professor and her husband were obsessed with harry potter. they went to the "phoenix rising" conference in new orleans one year (a harry potter conference!) and brought back a bunch of cool stuff.

    my group did a harry potter project and she had a bunch of wooden wands, and she let me keep one of them! it sits on my bookshelf with my harry potter books! i'm sure your little guy is going to love these birthday presents.

    ReplyDelete