Thursday, March 3, 2011

Random, busy, random

Okay, so it turns out that two boys (one 4 and one 10) can really use up a lot of your time. I don't know if anyone else knew that. I don't know why I didn't know that. It's not like I didn't know what it was like having a 4 year old and a 9 year old or a 3 year old and a 9 year old, and back and back and back... But, yeah. Somehow it still always manages to completely shock me that so much of my time can be taken by caring for them (not in bitterness, I assure you... I love my family and I enjoy them). That, really, weeks will pass for me and it feels like days. I tell a person, "I'll take care of that." And three weeks later, they're e-mailing me, "Uh... I haven't heard from you..." And I'm so completely mortified that I can't manage to juggle a business, family, and household (because the house is its own separate time sucker... who knew!?) and do 68 hours of work in 24 every day of my life without letting a few things slip.

All of this to say that finally, finally I have finished new button stock for Tempe Yarn and Fiber. I have 18 single buttons and 1 set of 3 going over there TODAY. I keep telling myself that I'm going to take them when I get them and the shawl pins packed up, but seriously. Just bagging these things up was a huge portion of my day yesterday. If I could, I'd make the slow cooker my second husband. That thing saved my life yesterday.

This one has one of my favorite quotes EVER: "If you're going through hell, keep going!" -Winston Churchill. Reminds me of Psalm 23. "Though I walk THROUGH the valley of the shadow of death..." I don't know how many people catch that. You're supposed to keep walking. Not sit and wallow in it. And believe me, this is me reminding myself and not preaching.


I love the new ones I'm making with the little charms dangling inside:



Here's Elliott's new hat which I made for him in one day because it was supposed to be bitter cold last weekend and I realized that all he had were sucky store bought hats and everyone else here, plus some out of state relatives, are now the deliriously happy owners of custom Kathy hand-knit hats which are far superior in every way... But my own little pwooshbooga doesn't have one yet. So I remedied that with this lovely chunky 100% baby alpaca yarn which is pretty much the softest thing on earth which makes it heavenly even if it does shed and ever since I knit it we've been picking tiny alpaca fibers out of all the food like we own a cat or something, but we don't.


And last, but not least, here is a knitted boob:


This was made for the Knitted Knockers charity that TYF is focusing on this month. I love this idea. Basically, these knitted prostheses are much lighter, more comfy, and nicer to wear than silicon ones. These are for women who have had to undergo mastectomies due to breast cancer. They can go into a bra and be nice and cool against the skin, which is, of course, incredibly important here in AZ.

I feel really happy to have been a part of this. I want to make one more before the drive is over.

I need a friggin' time turner.

No comments:

Post a Comment