Wednesday, March 10, 2010

March Craft 10: Video Tutorial of Pretty Earrings!!!

I made these pretty earrings today and during part of that process, I made a video of how to do them. As I said in the video, this is aimed at people who already know how to do wirework. But if you've been thinking my chandelier earrings were pretty and were even slightly interested in trying to make your own, here you go.

This is, as far as I know, my technique. I mean, it's not an insanely complex thing. I'm sure other people have figured it out. But when I figured it out early on in my beading/wireworking journey, I did it without any instructions, and at that point I had never seen it before. I still haven't really seen it. Anyway, it doesn't matter if it's particularly mine or not. I just figured I'd share it. I had done a book proposal about a year ago to teach all of the wire and bead findings I've come up with, but it wasn't accepted. So I figure I'll start to divulge the techniques here one at a time.



A couple of notes on the video (things I forgot to say in the video even though it was my second time shooting it, lol...):
-The extra beads in the earrings (apart from the chandelier components) are all done with simple loops. The three beads of the top of the earring are complete simple loop components (one simple loop at each end) and the beads dangling are on headpins with simple loops made at the top of the bead.
-The sizes of the beads are, from smallest to largest, 4mm, 6mm, and 8mm. (All of the little gray pearls are 4mm.) These are the sizes I use in all of these earring designs. So if you go back and look at any of my previous posts, you can figure out the sizes of the beads.
-At the end, when I say I attach the dangles so that the closed section of the loop is facing front, what I mean is that I attach my dangles so that the solid piece of wire is facing the front. Meaning, the closure of the simple loop of the dangles is always facing the back of the work so that from the front, you have a clean line of wire from inside of the bead to the top of the loop. Again, this is my picky thing. You don't have to do this. It's really not as important in these smaller pieces. But if you're ever attaching things with larger gauges of wire, it's something to keep in mind because on the larger wire gauges, the little closure will be obvious if it's not in the back.

Oh, and as I say in the video briefly, I have to apologize again for the fact that this is a blurry mess. I think it's clear enough, though, if you have previous wire working experience, and between the pictures I've posted of the earrings and this video, you should be able to figure out how to make them. ^_^




So, again... hopefully this is useful to someone. I don't care if you make this component into stuff to sell. In fact, I'd love to see anything you come up with. As far as I'm concerned, the component itself is like the nuts and bolts of an entire design. You'll make it different by your bead choices and whatnot. So if you master this and love it, sell as many as you want.

Oh, and the giveaway is still open. Is seriously no one interested but Lupe? I know I only have 6 followers, but I was under the impression from what people tell me and from comments I get out in the real world that I have several readers who are not actual followers here. This is open to you, too, you know!!! I'm starting to feel rejected! LOL. Not really. Really, not really. I just think it's funny. Maybe I should try giving away cooler stuff.

2 comments:

  1. the reason why i haven't entered is because i don't bead so i wouldn't know what to do with those things. =( they are very pretty though!

    don't give up hope. it's true, more people read than you think!

    another thought...some people leave the contest post up until the contest is over so that way if someone doesn't check your blog everyday, they will see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go ahead and enter, Jenny!!!! I'll stick a jump ring on whatever you win. You could pick a pendant from the jar. Then just stick it on a chain or something.

    And I just keep mentioning it in every post since I'm supposed to be doing something new every day for National Craft Month.

    ReplyDelete